This summer I spent a wonderful week exploring the Istrian peninsula of Croatia, one of my favourite European destinations.
You can read my article for the Express Saturday magazine on this here.
Dubrovnik is a popular destination – once for traders, now for tourists. There is plenty to see and do here, but the real joy is in finding a spot by the sparkling Adriatic to kick back and take in the view, beer in hand. The trouble is, everyone wants the same thing.
Avoid the crowds spilling from the numerous coach parties and cruise ships with my top ten picks for things to do in the city:
1. Watch the sun set over the Adriatic from one of Dubrovnik’s famous “hole in the wall” bars – Buza 1 or its rival Buza 2.
2. Walk the city’s ancient walls.
3. Take a boat to the uninhabited island of Lokrum, a protected nature reserve.
4. Eat fresh seafood at Arsenal restaurant in the old harbour.
5. Drink cocktails at the beachside Eastwest bar.
6. Sip strong coffee in the morning sun at Bistro Slasticarna on the city’s main street, Stradun.
7. Visit one of the world’s oldest pharmacies (more than 700 years and counting) at the Franciscan monastery.
8. Sunbathe on Banje beach.
9. Listen to live music at the Troubadour Hard Jazz Café.
10. Take the cable car for panoramic views of the city.
As published in the Express, January 2014.
Croatia is one of my favourite destinations – and somewhere that I am sure will only increase in popularity in 2014. Although Dubrovnik is the most touristy of the country’s cities – and a particular favourite of coach parties and cruises – there are still plenty of ways to escape the maddening crowds.
Find out how to get the best out of this beautiful city in my recent piece for the Express, here.
My articles for the Express always include a top ten of the best things the destination has to offer. Find out what I chose as the best of Gran Canaria here.
Cyprus has it all: gorgeous beaches, delicious seafood, a fascinating history – even some great local wines. So it was difficult to choose just ten things for my latest top ten for the Express. Click here to find out what I picked out as the truly unmissable.
I recently returned from a trip to Cyprus, an island I have visited many times.
Read my article for the Express on why this sunny Mediterranean
island makes the perfect winter escape here.